Friday, July 17, 2009

Food Storage Friday

I am a big advocate of having extra food and supplies on hand. It creates peace of mind, knowing that I'd be alright and have enough food for my family, if for some reason, I was not able to make it to the store.

My church encourages us to not only be self-reliant, but also to have an extra supply of food and water, in case of an emergency.

It may seem like a daunting task to build up a supply, especially when you're just starting out. What I have learned though, is to just go little by little. If I buy one extra can of vegetables, for example, each time I'm grocery shopping, and then put that away to save it, they will start to add up.

Each week when I do my shopping, I make sure to buy something extra to put away for later. Using coupons, I am able to do this without going over my weekly budget of $50 for my family of 4.

On Fridays, I will share what I have found for the week, along with any tips or ideas for building a "rainy-day" supply that I come across. I would love to hear what you do as well.


This week, I found vegetables on sale at Winn Dixie for .50/can.
I also bought 2 extra boxes of cereal at Kroger. After coupons and their promotion, they were $1/ea. The A-1 was on sale at Kroger for .49 after coupons and promo, and the peanut butter was free after my coupon!

No comments:

Post a Comment