Friday, August 21, 2009

Food Storage Friday


Each week, I try to find a few things to buy that I won't necessarily use in the coming week. I am trying to save a storage of food, in case we are ever in a situation where we can't make it to the store.

Here's what I found this week:

Cookie mixes: after coupons, etc. .69/each
Fruit snacks: .70
Hamburger Helper: .20/each
Cheese Nips: $1.00

So, I spent $3.28 this week in food storage items.

I think it's important to have some things on had that are fun to eat. Some of my food storage includes things like rice, soup, flour, wheat... essentials, definitely. We couldn't do without them if we couldn't make it to the store. But, it's also important to have things that your family likes, and that they are used to eating.

I'm not saying that my family eats cookies and fruit snacks all the time. Only that these are things are fun treats, and I would still want them to have the fun things, if something ever happened that I couldn't go shopping.

For more information on food storage, here's a link with information put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There is some great information about what to store, how long it will last, etc. Click on the FAQ's on the bottom right for even more advice.

One more article that I like with some great info: HERE.

Do you have any food storage tips or ideas? I'd love to read them and share them in a post, if you'll let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment